Providing these women with the feminine hygiene items that they need doesn't only give them access to a more sanitary and healthy way to care for themselves but it also gives them freedom during their cycle.
Without access to these essential items, girls in underprivileged areas may be subjected to having to care for themselves in dangerous ways. In place of pads or tampons, they may use any item they can find. This leads to things that can risk the girl's health. Without help, these girls may miss school or work...having no way to protect themselves an their privacy during their menstruation...this means missed opportunities that can place these girls in a better place in their societies.
By making these kits, you are not only helping women all over the world reach their potential, you're empowering them to be treated as equals. With the freedom to participate in their own lives, girls have one less thing to worry about. By no means is the work done to create more equality for women, but this is certainly a step.
Using what you can, when you can, you can be a part of the activism that makes life a little easier for other women. You can use this time to reflect on what it is that you already have and will have in your society and realize that you can use those things as tools to empower YOU to help others.
What sewing means to me:
I began sewing not so long ago - really! I have realized that being able to make clothes for myself and others is a privilege that I have and that it has birthed in me a strong desire to continue to make things for myself, that fit me, that say what I want to say about my appearance. It is a very powerful feeling to know that you can do this for yourself, especially when going to the store and realizing that the 4 sizes available don't fit your unique body and persona. When you stand in front of the mirror, you can be more pleased with what you see because you have control over that image.
Using what I love to do something for someone else is even more powerful. Not only do I enjoy sewing, I love helping others to learn that they are also capable of what seems impossible. A couple of months ago, I wouldn't believe you if you said I could learn to sew but now I know that I can. I bought my sewing machine in September and have already made clothes for myself and my friends.
My first skirt!
Entirely handmade Halloween costumes made by me!
Essentially, I'm here to tell you not to give up! The learning process is a process. What's the best part? It benefits more than just you.
No comments:
Post a Comment